Wappingers Falls Mayor Matt Alexander picked up the backing of the Dutchess County Democrats, his hometown county, in his bid to unseat Rep. Dr. Nan Hayworth, R-Mount Kisco.
“I am honored to receive the endorsements of the Dutchess County Democrats and the city of Poughkeepsie Democrats. I am in this race to fight for the 99%, and that is a particularly important agenda for the folks living in the cities, towns and villages of our new district, each of which face unique challenges. We need a new urban agenda for economic development in the Hudson Valley’s cities, and we need a new representative in Washington to deliver it,” Alexander said in a statement.
In a crowded field last week, Alexander received 90 percent of the weighted vote, according to his campaign. Four other candidates — attorney Sean P. Maloney, Cortlandt Councilman Dr. Rich Becker, Times-Square-vendor-turned-hero Duane Jackson and Tuxedo Mayor Tom Wilson — split the remaining 10 percent.
Alexander’s statement about the Dutchess convention said a sixth candidate, Anne Jacobs Moultrie of Orange County, had dropped out of the race.
Alexander’s endorsement came as candidates deal with the reshuffling of the state’s congressional districts. The newly redrawn lines have pushed two of the candidates, Becker and Jackson, outside of the new district, which is the 18th. Both have said they will move into it should they unseat Hayworth in November. Maloney doesn’t live in either the old 19th or the new 18th but has said he plans to move into the redrawn district.