After being hit with a long-awaiting lawsuit from the New York Rifle & Pistol Association, the state’s attorney general says his office will continue to defend the controversial gun-control law passed in January.
In a statement issued by his office, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said the law — which included a broader ban on assault weapons — is constitutional. The gun group makes the case that the ban on certain semi-automatic firearms violates the Second Amendment.
The statement doesn’t appear to make a direct reference to the Rifle & Pistol Association lawsuit.
“The SAFE Act is a comprehensive law that is making New York communities safer, while ensuring constitutional protections to responsible gun owners,” Schneiderman said in his statement. “My office will continue to aggressively defend the protections embodied in the law because every New Yorker deserves to live in a safe neighborhood free from the threat of gun violence.”
The lawsuit comes as lawmakers and Gov. Andrew Cuomo discuss easing a soon-to-take-effect ban on magazines that can hold more than seven bullets. The discussions to change the law — allowing the purchase of 10-capacity magazines, but only allowing them to be loaded with seven bullets in most cases — had been wrapped into the state’s budget negotiations, but were dropped when a framework budget agreement was announced Wednesday.