The latest on New York’s ongoing hydrofracking decision-making process? There’s nothing new, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Friday.
Cuomo, appearing on public-radio program “The Capitol Pressroom,” said he’s waiting on the Department of Health to complete its review of fracking before a decision is made. He offered no timeline on when that review may be completed.
“There is nothing new there,” Cuomo said. “We’re still waiting for the Department of Health to make their decision.”
There hasn’t been much—really, any—information released on the state’s fracking review since mid-February, when the state Department of Environmental Conservation missed a deadline to finalize a set of proposed regulations. Since then, Health Commissioner Nirav Shah said in early March that his personal review of the health impacts of fracking would wrap up in “the next few weeks.”
Cuomo said criticism of the transparency (or lack thereof) in the 4 1/2-year decision-making process—Cuomo inherited it in 2011—is more about people wanting an answer that suits their views.
“I don’t think that people are really faulting the process,” Cuomo said. “They want to know the outcome and they want to know the outcome is the outcome they want. I don’t think it’s about the transparency. I think they want a final conclusion that supports their opinion.”