State Police have updated its field guide to remove enforcement of a seven-bullet magazine limit that was part of last year’s gun-control law.
The provision was tossed by a federal judge Dec. 31, and State Police said after the ruling that it would not enforce the regulation as the case is being appealed.
“While the federal district court upheld most of its provisions, the court held that this section, “Unlawful Possession of Certain Ammunition Feeding Devices,” was unconstitutional,” the updated field guide states. “As a result of the court’s decision members are instructed not to enforce PL 265.37 at this time.”
The state Rifle & Pistol Association said the change to the field guide points to another reason why the gun-control law, called the SAFE Act, is flawed. The group is the one suing to have the law tossed, and it’s already spent $500,000 in legal costs.
“Lawmakers, mental health professionals, and New York’s gun owners were essentially ignored in the rush to enact this law,” the group’s president, Tom King, said in a statement. “As a result, careful judicial scrutiny is uncovering some of the law’s flaws and unenforceability. New York’s legal gun owners are among the most law-abiding citizens of this state and ultimately their civil rights will be upheld.”
A rally of gun-rights advocates is being held April 1 at the Capitol and will include Donald Trump, Carl Paladino and Rob Astorino, who is the Republican candidate for governor.
The state has also not finished the creation of a statewide database for background checks on ammunition sales, while the deadline to register guns with the state is April 15.